Welcome to the Summer Term in Hedgehog Class
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: Children will be encouraged to work as part of a group to plan how to achieve an outcome. They will talk about their ideas and evaluate the end product, identifying aspects they might change.
- Communication and Language: The children will be introduced to a range of technical vocabulary and will be encouraged to use new words to add information, express ideas and to explain events.
- Physical Development: We will explore why exercise is important for good health and work on our co-ordination, balance and agility.
- Literacy: We will work on our composition skills and practice putting our thoughts into full sentences, using capital letters and full stops. We will send letters, make non-fiction books and write stories through innovating key texts.
- Maths: We will be counting and ordering numbers to 20, adding and subtracting, doubling and halving as well as exploring odd and even numbers.
- Knowledge and Understanding of the World: We will make observations of plants and animals and talk about what they need to grow and change. We will also explore ways in which we can help to maintain the area in which we live.
- Expressive Arts and Design: We will explore different media and techniques to create our own versions of ‘The Four Seasons’ by Guiseppe Arcimboldo and ‘The Snail’ by Henri Matisse.
This term Hedgehog Class will have opportunities to serve our school and local community. We will plan, create and develop ideas through:
- Growing food in the garden to use in cooking. • Planting seeds and baking bread to sell at our very own Farmers Market.
- Designing a flower garden to attract insects such as bees and butterflies.
- Building a bug hotel to provide a safe habitat for our insects.
Summer Term 2021 - Service
This term we will be exploring inspirational people who serve our local community. We will think about the impact these people have on the environment and what we can do to make positive changes in our own lives, our local community and in the wider world around us.
This term our focus virtues are; Resilience, critical thinking, service and courage.
- Explore these virtues in our whole school and class based assemblies.
- Use our focus virtues as drivers for our teaching and learning across the curriculum.
- Look out for ‘virtues in action’ in many ways as well as develop our own character journeys and celebrate our efforts.
- Develop character through PSHE by exploring ideas about right and wrong and making good choices.
This term Hedgehog Class will learn about people who serve our local community and explore ways in which we can help to improve the world in which we live.
- Visit a local farm to learn how farmers serve our community. We will observe the different animals, discover which crops are grown and find out about the different types of machinery that help farmers do their work.
- Learn more about the UN Sustainable Goals and discover why insects are important for our ecosystem as well as our own survival. We will go on a ‘Minibeast Safari’ at Beer Mill and learn how Elaine helps the animals in the local community.
- Take part in enrichment activities on Tuesday afternoons focused on developing our school grounds (suitable clothing required).
- Develop our understanding of how we can be real champions in the service of others. We will hold a fundraising event where we will raise money for charities that support the neediest people, e.g. Holsworthy Food Bank, Shelter, and Edukid.